Anytime we are looking for the specialized services of a company, it is a good idea to get as educated as possible about what they will be offering you so you won’t be blind sided by anything unexpected. After all, knowledge is power! J&K Roofing is a well known and respected roofing company that prides themselves not only on a job well done, but also on excellent customer service as their testimonials will reflect. They offer not only roofing guidelines for customers to look over before having a roof fixed or installed, but they also offer a glossary of terms that will help equip any consumer with a basic amount of knowledge that can help them in the process of getting their roof installed or fixed.
- FHA. The Federal Housing Authority. They are the ones who set the construction standards throughout the nation. If you should have any questions about the work that is being done on your home, then you can reach out to them to makes sure your chosen roofing company is following all of the guidelines necessary.
- Nail-Pop and Nail-Guideline. A nail-pop is when a nail has not been fully hammered into the shingle. This can be harmful if you are on your roof and should be addressed by the roofers. A nail-guideline is a painted line on the shingles that allows for proper placement of nails.
- Shed Roof. This is a single roof plane roof design. It is an area that does not tie into any other roofs.
- Transitions. Unlike a shed roof, this is the place where a roof plane ties into another roof plane that have different slopes or pitches. Special materials are used to prevent leaking or damage in these places.
- Waterproof Underlayments. To ensure a job well done, you want to make sure that weather won’t hinder the good work that has just been done. Roofing companies use modified bitumen-based roofing materials that are traditionally used to seal wood decks. They actually waterproof areas that are prone to leaking.
- Dormer. This extends from a larger roofing plane and is a raised roof.
- Cupping. This effectively diverts water around different projections. It is usually installed behind chimneys and other roof projections.
- Bridging. A re-roofing method that used metric-sized shingles.
- ASTM. The American Society for Testing and Materials. They are a great resource because they set national standards for various roofing materials.
- Algae. Yes, algae can happen even on your roof. As you probably know, it is a fungus that actually leaves dark stains on your roof and can also cause rot.
- Bundles. These are a package of three to five shingles.
- Collar. A pre-formed flange that is put over a vent pipe. This seals the roofing work around the opening of the vent pipe.
When choosing a roofing contractor for your home, keep in mind J&K Roofing as they want to give you more information, not pull the wool over your eyes. They will work with you to ensure that you are totally informed and altogether happy with their job well done.